Over the past two years, Sunrise Banks has hosted a series of virtual town halls and events featuring community leaders. Watch the video recordings from the events below.
Sun Up With Sunrise: A conversation with Minnesota Council of Nonprofits Executive Director Nonoko Sato
This virtual event, part of Sunrise Banks’ Sun Up Business Breakfast series, offered an opportunity to hear from Sato and the state of nonprofits in Minnesota.
- The Minnesota Council of Nonprofits’ reach and priorities
- The Council’s legislative asks during the upcoming session
- How the nonprofit industry has fared during COVID-19
Sun Up With Sunrise: A conversation with Dr. Michael Osterholm on the future of the pandemic, vaccine research and what our “next normal” might look like
During the hour, Dr. Osterholm discussed the current state of COVID-19 and the latest research on the virus and treatments, including:
- The future of the pandemic and what we might expect in the coming months;
- Progress being made on vaccine research; and
- The pandemic’s continued effect on the workplace and strategies for business owners moving forward.
Sun Up With Sunrise: A Minneapolis Model for Community Safety & Accountability with Police Chief Medaria Arradondo
During this hour, we had a one-on-one conversation with Police Chief Arradondo addressing the following:
- Learnings from the firing of four police officers and the George Floyd murder and trial;
- Public safety needs of the business community and the opportunities for businesses to participate in the process and solutions;
- Mayor Frey’s May 2021 plan for public safety and accountability to gain an understanding of how these separate-but-related objectives work well going forward;
- The type of officers the city is attempting to recruit in terms of background, personality and capability as well as the current challenge associated with recruiting; and
- Emerging de-escalation approaches and how these tactics can be beneficial in situations involving a mental health crisis.
Getting to Equity: How to Build Forward Pathways
About one year ago, the world changed when George Floyd died on the streets of Minneapolis. Even though a jury recently found a former officer guilty of Floyd’s murder, the tragedy looms large locally and across the country. How do our communities ensure equality for all when many systems remain broken? What does success look like?
What started in December 2020 as a Town Hall that brought out robust advice for courageous conversations grows momentum.
WCCO Radio’s Roshini Rajkumar moderated our second town hall on June 8, 2021.
New Panelists: Paurvi Bhatt of Medtronic Foundation. Marnita Schrodel of Marnita’s Table. Darrell Thompson of Bolder Options.
Watch this engaging conversation to dissect steps we can take locally to create positive change that fosters equality.Read Video Transcript
Learning Journey: Addressing Racial Equity During a Time of Crisis
George Floyd was killed just blocks from one of Sunrise Banks’ branch locations in South Minneapolis. This learning journey will take you to the site of Floyd’s death and showcase local organizations helping to elevate their communities in the aftermath of this tragic event.
Twin Cities Town Hall: A Discussion About Racial Equity
Sunrise Banks hosted a virtual town hall on racial equity on Dec. 16, 2020, that featured local diversity and inclusion experts and thoughtful conversations on equality.
The event was moderated by Roshini Rajkumar and included panelists Michael Goh, University of Minnesota Vice President for Equity and Diversity; Pimento Jamaican Kitchen Owner Tomme Beevas; and Minnesota State Representative Athena Hollins, who is also senior director of diversity and foundations at the Minnesota Bar Association.Read Video Transcript